The following gear is the bare minimum required to take the field with the 18th:
- Uniform- to include: sky blue trousers (mounted type preferred, but regular is OK), dark blue shell jacket (plain, un-adorned), dark blue kepi or slouch hat, brogans, artillery boots or cavalry boots are all acceptable foot-wear, and belt with oval US buckle. Any type of period correct shirt may be worn under the jacket.
- Wool blanket.
- Plate, cup, other mess gear.
This gear is strongly recommended:
- Housewife (sewing kit).
- Dog-tent (get a half and button up with a pard just like they did) .
This gear is optional:
- White gloves (for parade purposes).
- .36 Navy or .44 Army revolver and black flap holster (appropriate for any artillery impression).
Where to get your gear:
Fall Creek Sutler, http://www.fcsutler.com/ A bit higher quality sutler. Based in Lebanon, Indiana.
Crescent City Sutler, http://www.crescentcitysutler.com/index.html Some good deals on gear. Will usually receive your order the next day.
A good source for used gear is the Civil War Reenactor Internet forum. You must sign up to be a member first. : http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/forum.php
If you have any questions about any of the gear, ask a “veteran” before you buy it. There’s nothing worse than buying the wrong thing, or getting stuck with something that will fall apart at the first event. Most of us “Old-timers” have learned the hard way. Ask us, we can steer you in the right direction.